Matching E3D’s new
Ever since I held the first Hemera in my hands – at that time, it was called Hermes – I’ve been missing a properly working fan duct.
Well, there are a couple good looking fan ducts available, but if you check their performance with testprints or the trusty “bowl-of-water” method, you can easily spot their weakness.
His design was one of the few that seemed to be very good, but tests showed that the side channels deflect the airflow behind the nozzle, non-symmetric and uneven, sharp downwards. Bummer!
After inspecting the insides, it seems that the flow channels aren’t that ideal as well. This reduces the available airflow even more, especially with a small 40×10 blower to begin with.
Regardless of the mentioned drawbacks, it’s an improvement over the stock fan duct (sorry Greg) and I did print successfully with it. I’m also in touch with Peter and suggested several improvements. Maybe he will update his fan duct in the future.
But I wanted it better…!
So I reached out to a friend of mine that happens to work at BMW in the field of aerodynamics, to help me design a very good fan duct. In the beginning, I wanted to cover all 4 sides with airflow, but I was told that it wouldn’t work out that way. Instead, my friend gave me a whole lot of advices and several rules of thumb to work with, he tested my designs, told me what to improve to enhance the airflow and this is how I ended up with a standard 3/4 side fan duct. To visualize the airflow, because I wanted to understand it better, I put the designs into the free to use Software “simscale“. That’s where all these fancy looking pictures come from. In the end, the fan duct looks familiar, doesn’t it?
But look at the inside! It‘s unbelievable how many things one has to consider to make a proper fan duct! Never could have done it without the help of my friend. One goal when designing such a fan duct is to even out the different channels. There’s more back pressure in longer channels and if they are curved, it get’s even worse. Then, when leaving through the outlets, the different airflows should combine and not form individual paths, for example. There is way more to this, but you will get the point 😉
Take a look at the visualizations below which show the three channels and how the airflow combines to a single big stream:
The three separate channels combine the airflow very symmetrical so that the area (nearly) all around the nozzle is hit evenly by the airstream.
Several people helped testing the fan duct and their feedback helped me to develop the design even further. Check out the feedback of well known Filament Frenzy, for example:
“I think at this point we hit the maximum air flow that fan can push, other shrouds didn’t have peak airflow. Yours sends all the possible air in the right places!”— Tom aka Filament Frenzy ™ about his experience with the fan duct
Some real world pictures to round this of:
All the calculation and testing happened three times!
For 3 different versions:
the now “with the TC-Hemera-Tool included” GDSTIME 4010 blower fan:
the WINSINN 4010 blower fan that came with the tools last year
the high end ebmpapst 5015 blower fan, for which I updated Gregs design previously.
Also for DUET3 Toolboard:
fan duct GDSTIME &
Update: Matching E3D’s new RapidChange™ family: Revo™ Hemera
More beautiful renders because the Revo Hemera is sexy AF:
What versions are available:
- 4010 blower – REVO style
- 4010 blower – REVO style (left sided mounting points for generic printers)
- 4010 blower – V6 style
- 4010 blower – V6 style (left sided mounting points for generic printers)
- 4010 blower – Volcano style
- 4010 blower – V6 style + Duet3D toolboard
- 5015-ebmpapst blower fan – V6 style
- 5015-ebmpapst blower fan – Volcano style
print setting recommendations:
- align the bridging direction so that the tracks span across
- for me, I do 5 perimeter, 5 top&bottom at 0,2layerheight
- extrusionwidth at 0.4 to 0.42 works best for the thin fins
Or download them for a small contribution on: